Saturday, 14 May 2011

Spilling my Soup


Right, so in the excitement of my rather monotonous life, I decided to change things up last night. I sent my lover off to the shops with a very simple list: soup, bread and cheese. Luckily his list had been smsed so he couldn't argue while driving. This is a good tip for any of you wonderful people that have cooking challenged spouses that think that they have a say in the matter. Before I waste your time with silly relationship advice, let me get to the climax of this story. Last night i made the most simple, yet delicious and relatively healthy supper ever! This magnificent meal was: Tomato soup with cheesy pesto zucchini brochette.



How this was done:

  1. Turn your oven on to 200'C
  2. Slice the ciabatta, and spread pesto on each slice (much like spreading butter)
  3. Take a peeler and slice the zucchini (baby marrow) length ways and then season with salt and pepper.
  4. Place a few slices of zucchini on the ciabatta slices. You can also add some precooked bacon bits
  5. Place the slices onto a baking tray and cover with grated mozzarella bake fore 10 - 15 mins (want the cheese to go slightly brown)
  6. Warm up your soup (recipe to follow)
What was needed:
  • Tomato soup
  • Ciabatta
  • Pesto
  • Mozzarella
  • Zucchini

Although I got a little lazy and decided to buy my tomato soup, those that are a little more energetic and adventurous, I do have a great recipe that doesn't take too long to make.

Tomato Soup Recipe

What you will need:
  • 1kg very ripe italian tomatoes, peeled
  • 15ml olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • basil
  • salt, pepper and sugar to taste
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 15g butter or olive oil
  • 200ml chicken stock
  • 250ml bechamel (white) sauce
How to do it:

  1. Place tomatoes in a small roasting tray, toss in garlic, olive oil,season with salt, pepper and sugar. roast at 200'C for 15 mins, chop roughly reserving all the juices.
  2. Sweat (cook on a low heat) onions in butter until soft. add tomatoes with their juices and chicken stock. simmer until tomatoes are completely soft - 10 mins
  3. Add bechamel sauce and simmer for a few mins to blend flavours.
  4. Liquadize in a blender, and salt, pepper and basil to taste

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment