Thursday, 19 May 2011

Fabulously Fishy


Last week I got a wonderful surprise! An old Silwood mate had called to say that he will be in Cape Town and would like to see us. This was very exciting, mainly because it meant that I could make my very special fish dish. The reason for this elation centered around the making of my fish dish, was solely because this is my favourite thing to eat. Due to me loving this meal so much, Dev, my lover, is now so tired of having the same thing, in fact, hates it. So I like to pretend that it's my "go to", "we have guests coming", "it's time to impress", dish. I know that this is not really a fair thing to do, coaxing my partner into thinking that this is the only thing we can serve our friends, but I feel that I should take any opportunity that I have, to eat my favourite meal. So due to all of the above I feel that it is my obligation take this moment to say, thank you JP, I always love a good excuse to make my fish.

The recipe that I am going to give you will work with any white fish and for salmon or trout. It also works for both a braai (BBQ) or in the oven.

What you will need:
  • Fish (I like to use Blue Nose)
  • Chives
  • Spring onions
  • Chili (seeded and chopped finely)
  • Garlic clove (chopped finely)
  • Lemons
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil 30ml
  • White wine (optional)
  • Tin/Aluminium foil
How it's done:
  1. Take a big piece of foil (2.5X the size of the fish) and place it shiny side up. place the fish, skin down on the foil (refer to the picture).
  2. Squeeze one lemon over the fish and season with salt and pepper, mix the chili, garlic and olive oil together and brush the fish
  3. Slice the spring onion in half, place on the fish. Place the chives on the fish, covering it.
  4. You can either squeeze the lemons and make about a cup of juice, or slice the lemons and cover the fish with them.
  5. If you have opted to squeeze the lemons, before pouring it over the fish, fold the other half of the foil over and roll up the sides tightly around the fish, leaving a hole at the top to pour in the lemon juice and a cup of wine.
  6. Close the hole up by rolling it up tightly so that the liquids don't leak
  7. Place on a hot fire and close the lid. Alternatively place in the oven at 200'C for 20 - 30 mins.

I hope you enjoy it, it really is my favourite dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment